Daliya (Cracked Wheat) Salad
Recipe type: Dessert
If you’re running out of healthy and satisfying lunch ideas, try this delicious Cracked Wheat (Daliya) Salad. Don’t let the term “salad” fool you. This one will keep your tummy happy for a while. Enjoy!
- Cracked Wheat (Daliya) – ½ cup
- Broth (Vegetable or Chicken) – 1 cup
- Pine Nuts – 1 Tbsp
- Sliced Almonds – 1 Tbsp
- Olive Oil – ½ Tbsp
- Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Bell Pepper – 1, diced small
- Tomatoes – ½ cup, diced
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
- Dried Apricots or Cranberries or Raisins – 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – 5 sprigs, chopped
- In a medium size saucepan, add Cracked Wheat and Broth. Bring to a boil, lower stove to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and remove into a mixing bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a small skillet, dry roast Sliced Almonds and Pine Nuts lightly. Keep aside.
- Heat Olive Oil in the same skillet.
- Add Onions and Green Chilies. Cook until onions are translucent (2-3 mins). Keep aside in a mixing bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To the cracked wheat and onions, add remaining ingredients – Bell Pepper, Tomatoes, Black Pepper, Salt, Lemon/Lime Juice, Apricots, previously roasted nuts and Cilantro.
- Mix well