Recipe type: Appetiser
A very well-known dish that needs little introduction! Kadhai Paneer (Panir) has the wonderful fresh ground spice aroma and flavor that compares to nothing else. This easy recipe is packed with flavor. Get ready to be amazed! Kadai is a wok and Paneer is a soft, non-matured Indian cheese.
- Paneer – 14oz (approx 400gm)
- Whole Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chilli – 1 or to taste
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Whole Black Peppercorns – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2, med. finely chopped
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- Put the whole spices (coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn, dry red chilli, fenugreek seeds) in a skillet, turn the heat on med to low and dry roast till you get an distinct aroma.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool down.
- Once it has cooled down, coarsely grind the roasted spices.
- Meanwhile, heat the Oil in a medium skillet on medium heat.
- Once the Oil is hot, add in the Onions and cook till they turn translucent.
- Add in the Garlic, Green Chillies, Tomatoes, Ground Spices and Salt.
- Mix well and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the Paneer, mix and cover and cook till the moisture has been soaked in by the paneer.
- Stir in between to make sure it does not burn.
- Once done, remove cover, turn off the flame and garnish with Cilantro.
- Serve hot with chapatis, naans, tandoori rotis.
1. Make Paneer at home