Green Peas Stuffed Idli
Recipe type: Breakfast
For green peas stuffed idli, green peas is soaked and pressure cooked till soft. Cooked green peas is ground and seasoned before making the mixture into discs. The green peas mixture is then stuffed in idli batter. Idli is steamed and green peas stuffed idli is served with sambar or with any chutney of your choice.
- Idli Batter ¾ Cup
- Dry Green Peas ¼ Cup
- Green Chiles 1
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Soak dry green peas in water overnight and pressure cook in ½ cup of water for 2 whistles.
- Remove stem, wash and finely chop the green chile.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Grind green peas, green chiles and salt without adding any water until extremely necessary.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds
- When cumin seeds change color, add ground green peas mixture, turmeric powder and cilantro.
- Stir well and fry till any excess moisture is evaporated and remove from heat.
- Once the green peas stuffing is warm enough to handle.
- Take a big spoonful of mixture and form into thick disc.
- Repeat the saem with remaining green peas mixture.
- Grease idli moulds with few drops of ghee.
- Spread a tbsp of batter in each idli mould.
- Layer each mould with prepared green peas disc.
- Layer few more tablespoons of idli batter on the green peas disc to cover it.
- Place the idli stand in steamer.
- Steam the idli for around 8 minutes.
- Leave the idli outside for a minute or two to cool down after applying a drop of ghee on each idli so it the top layer doesn’t dry out..
- Carefully remove the idli from idli mould with help of a spoon.
- Serve green peas stuffed idli with sambar or with ginger chutney.
Make sure idli is steamed well before removing from heat. Suggestions: If green peas is not cooked well, boil in enough water till they turn soft but not mushy.