Lentil and olive spaghetti
Recipe type: Breakfast
Weekends are like mini holidays, so make a break for it on Friday with this easy Mediterranean pasta.
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbs tomato paste
- 1 x 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 100g pitted kalamata olives
- ½ bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 375g dried spaghetti pasta
- 100g rocket leaves
- 95g (1⅓ cups) finely grated parmesan
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until golden. Add tomato paste, tomato, lentils and 2 teaspoons of the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the olives and mint.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions. Drain.
- Combine rocket and remaining oil and vinegar in a serving bowl. Combine the pasta and sauce in the pan. Divide among serving bowls. Top with the parmesan. Serve with the rocket salad.
Veal with tomato and lentil sauce: Omit the pasta and olives. Cook 4 veal schnitzel for 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Top with the sauce. Serve with the rocket salad and crusty bread.