Penne with eggplant caponata
Recipe type: Breakfast
This pasta dish is an easy meat-free weeknight meal that's full of flavour.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large eggplant (about 500g), cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ½ cup (60g) pitted green olives
- ⅓ cup (65g) drained capers
- 2 tbs chopped fl at-leaf parsley
- 400g penne or other short pasta
- 2 tbs freshly grated parmesan
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until light golden. Increase heat to high, add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until golden, then add tomatoes, sugar and a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is cooked and sauce thickens. Stir in the olives, capers and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain well, then toss with sauce and serve wih parmesan.