Recipe type: Breakfast
Spice up your breakfast menu with this tasty Masala sandwich. The bread slices are buttered and then filled with a spicy ,mixture of carrots, cabbage and garam masala powder. Enjoy plain or toasted with chutney.
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp garam masala or sambaar powder (depending on how spicy you like your food)
- ½ tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tbsp oil
- mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing) powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- bread slices
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start sputtering, add the cumin seeds.
- Add the onions and fry well on high heat for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and asafoetida powder. mix well.
- Add the garam masala or sambar powder along with salt and mix well.
- Mix in the dry mango powder (for that tangy taste). now, add the cabbage and cut the sides of the bread slices.
- Spread a thin layer of butter.
- Place some of this above masala mixture on one slice of bread and cover with another.
- Toast in a non-stick sandwich toaster (preferably the hand held one that can be used on gas
- Put the flame on low and keep turning so that it does not burn!!).
- Serve with tomato ketchup