Recipe type: Breakfast
An extremely popular South Indian dish that is a perfect example of a complete protein combination which combines a cereal (rice) and a pulse (moong dal).
- ½ cup rice (chawal)
- ½ cup moong dal (split green gram)
- ½ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds (optional)
- a pinch soda bi carb
- salt to taste
- Soak the rice, dal and fenugreek seeds in water for 5 to 6 hours.
- Grind the soaked ingredients in a mixer and leave the batter aside for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
- Thereafter, add the soda bi-carb and salt and pour a little mixture into the cavities of a small idli maker.
- Steam in a cooker for a few minutes. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambhar.