Oats Mutter Dosa (Diabetic-friendly Recipe)
Recipe type: Breakfast
This instant dosa batter is packed with protein and fibre. Oats must be consumed daily for its high content of soluble fibre 'beta-glucan', a potent blood sugar and cholesterol-lowering agent. The addition of urad dal and carrots make the dosas rich in protein and vitamin a too. Prepare this instantly and serve it hot with a chutney of your choice.
- For The Dosa Batter
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- ¼ cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- salt to taste
- For The Stuffing
- 1½ tsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 slit green chilli
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup parboiled green peas
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Other Ingredients
- 2¼ tsp oil for greasing and cooking
- For Serving
- For the dosa batter
- Combine the oats, urad dal and salt in a bowl and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add1¾ cups of water and mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency. Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the stuffing
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and green chilli.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the carrots and green peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, chaat masala and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter on the tava (griddle) and move the spoon in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) round dosa.
- Smear ¼ tsp of oil around the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns light brown in colour.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the dosa and fold over.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and stuffing to make 7 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with a chutney of your choice.
Do not keep the batter for too long as it becomes thicker making it difficult to spread.