Savory Oat Muffins
Recipe type: Breakfast
Breakfast is always a hectic time in our homes, not to mention the varied tastes amongst family members! For those who want a quick, hearty breakfast that is not sugary sweet, this Savory Oat Muffins recipe is for you! With flavors similar to upma, but made with heart healthy oats, these muffins are perfect to make ahead and enjoy throughout the week.
- Quick Oats Flour – ¾ cup (grind Quick Oats in a spice grinder or blender)
- Quick Oats – 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour (or Chapati flour) – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Egg – 1 large (or substitute 1 Tbsp Flax Seed Powder mixed with 3 Tbsp Water)
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp or to taste
- Cilantro – 10 sprigs, chopped
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Onions – ½ cup, chopped
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Frozen Peas – ½ cup
- Carrots – ½ cup, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Heat Oil in pan on medium heat.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Curry Leaves, Green Chilies, Asafoetida and Turmeric Powder.
- Add Onion and Ginger. Mix and cook for about a minute.
- Add Green Peas and Carrots. Mix through, cook for 1 minute and turn off stove.
- In a bowl, mix together Quick Oats Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Quick Oats, Baking Soda and Salt.
- To the seasoning pan (with the veggies), add Egg, Yogurt, Oil, Lemon Juice and Cilantro. Mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and fold in gently to mix.
- Divide batter into a greased muffin tray and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before serving or remove the muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Warm in the microwave before serving.