Seasoned Onion Rice
Recipe type: Breakfast
Seasoned Onion Rice (aka Vagharelo Bhaat) is a practically effortless way to a quick lunch or snack. The crunch of the onions and the zest of the lime gives this rice such a fresh taste that you’ll never know it was left-over.
- Cooked Rice: 2 cups
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chili – 1
- Curry Leaves – few
- Turmeric Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Onions – ½ medium, sliced
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
- Cilantro (Coriander) – finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to turn golden brown.
- Add Dry Red Chili, Curry Leaves, Turmeric Powder and Asafoetida.
- Add Green Chilies, Onions and Garlic. Mix and cook until Onions are light golden brown but not over-cooked.
- Add salt and Cooked Rice (pre-heat for 1 minute in the microwave) and mix well.
- Add Lime/Lemon Juice to taste.
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander) leaves.