Spicy Chapati Crumble
Recipe type: Appetiser
Spicy Chapati Crumble (fancy name for Vaghareli Bhakri) is a clever way to use up left over Chapati or Roti. With Onion, Potatoes and flavorful spices, you can create a fresh new dish. Try this delicious recipe as a snack at the next “tea time”.
- Chapati/Roti – 7-8
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Onions – ¼ med, diced
- Potatoes – 1 med, diced
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Cilantro/Cilantro leaves – for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice – to taste
- Roughly chop chapati/roti in a food processor or by hand.
- Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to turn golden.
- Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Green Chilies, Curry Leaves and Onions. Mix well and cook until onions are light golden.
- Add Potatoes, Salt, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Red Chili Powder. Mix well, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add in crumbled Chapati/Roti and Lemon/Lime Juice and mix well.
- Cook for few minutes uncovered until chapati is slightly crispy.
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) and serve hot.