Spicy Pudina Khakhras
Recipe type: Breakfast
This gujarati staple is traditionally made and served with a lot of ghee. Here is a healthier version made with only 1 teaspoon of oil. Mint and chillies add flavour to this popular snack, one of my favorites. Use innovative toppings for added taste. Carry them with you on your travels and you'll find it much easier to make new friends!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ½ cup mint leaves (phudina)
- 1 green chilli , finely chopped
- ½ tsp roasted and coarsely crushed cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- Grind together the mint leaves and green chillies with ¼ cup of water in a mixer.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using the mint water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll out each portion into a very thin round of 125 mm. (5") diameter using a little flour.
- Cook each round on a non-stick pan until brown spots appear on both the sides.
- With the help of a folded muslin cloth, press the khakhra from all the sides and cook over a slow flame till it is crisp.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container. These will stay fresh upto 15 days.