Recipe type: Dessert
- Guavas - 1 kg
- Sugar - 750 grams
- Lime Juice - 1 tblsp
- Butter/Ghee - 1 tblsp
- Take some fresh guavas, clean it and peel the edges and black spots from it. Chop it into big chunks.
- Boil the chunks with little water and grind it to a smooth puree. Boiling is optional but it makes the blending easier.
- Sieve the puree through a strainer or a muslin cloth to get rid of all the seeds. This is a time consuming process but is quite important.
- Take this smooth puree in a non stick flat pan and heat it. Keep stirring continuously to prevent the bottom from getting burnt.
- When most of the moisture evaporates, add the sugar and continue stirring.
- Slowly the colour begins to deepen and the mixture begins to thicken. Add the lime juice and butter (or ghee) and continue mixing. The butter gives a nice sheen and the lime helps the cheese to set.
- You can remove and store when it the mixture is still viscous (i.e.in Jam consistency). This can be used as a spread over toast for breakfast.
- If not, continue to cook till the mix comes together as one mass and starts to leave the edges of the pan.
- Grease a plate or tray with some oil and spread this mixture evenly.
- Let it cool and set for a couple of hours before you slice it and enjoy. You can cut the Guava Cheese into squares or diamonds or any other shape.