Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Recipe type: Dessert
Blueberry muffins are great for breakfast, part of a lunch or as a snack. A perfect on-the-go treat. This recipe can be very easily made without eggs (substitute the egg with flax seed powder) and you have yourself a great vegan/vegetarian muffin. Serve some warm muffins with cold vanilla ice cream and guess what you have…?
- Canola/Vegetable Oil – ½ cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Large Egg – 1
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Fresh Blueberries – 1 cup
- Orange Juice – ½ cup
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, pour the Oil.
- Mix in the Sugar and break the Egg into it and whisk till it is creamy.
- Separately, sift the following: Whole Wheat Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of the sifted Flour into the Berries and toss till all the berries are coated. Set aside.
- Fold the sifted dry ingredients and the Orange Juice into the Oil and Sugar mixture alternately.
- Add and fold till all the dry ingredients and the Orange Juice is incorporated into the batter. Try not to overwork the batter.
- Mix in the Blueberries, folding into the batter 2-3 times.
- Coat a muffin tray with some cooking spray.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tray filling only ¾th of the way.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- Take the tray out of the oven and 2-3 minutes, pop the muffins out so they do not sweat, create moisture and get soggy.
- Transfer them on to a cooking rack and allow them to cool a bit before digging in.
- They can also be stored in an air-tight container in a fridge.
- Enjoy them cold or reheat before serving.
1. To make them Eggless and Vegan.