choliya pulao recipe
Recipe type: easyrecipes spl
choliya pulao – simple and easy pulao made from rice and fresh green chickpeas.
- 1 cup fresh green chickpeas or choliya
- 1.25 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
- 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking the choliya initially
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 indian bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 cloves/lavang
- 1 cinnamon/dalchini
- 1 green cardamom/choti elaichi
- 1 tsp cumin/sabut jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 3 tbsp oil
- rinse the rice in water till the water runs clean of the starch.
- soak rice in enough water for 30 mins.
- rinse the chickpeas.
- drain and then first cook the choliya or green chickpeas with 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles.
- once the pressure settles remove and drain the chickpeas.
- discard the water.
- use the same cooker for making the pulao.
- add oil in the cooker.
- fry all the whole spices till aromatic.
- add asafoetida and stir.
- add onions and saute them till golden.
- add the drained and cooked choliya or green chickpeas.
- stir and saute for a minute.
- drain the rice and add.
- stir and saute the rice for a few seconds.
- add water and salt.
- stir well and pressure cook the pulao for 2 whistles on a medium to high flame.
- once the pressure settles down, on its own, remove the lid and fluff the rice gently.
- serve choliya pulao hot with plain yogurt or a onion-tomato raita or vegetable raita.
- you can also garnish the pulao with coriander leaves if you prefer.