Besan bhindi recipe
Recipe type: Curries
besan bhindi masala – a spiced dry okra curry made with roasted gram flour.
- main ingredients:
- 200 to 250 grams small sized bhindi/okra
- 4 tbsp gram flour/besan
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ⅛ tsp to ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp water (optional)
- 3 tbsp oil for sauting the bhindi
- ½ tbsp ghee for frying the besan
- salt as required
- for garnish:
- ½ inch ginger julienned or cut into thin strips
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp water
- ½ tsp sugar
- few chopped coriander leaves/dhania (optional)
- in a small bowl, mix together the ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water.
- keep this pickled ginger aside for a minimum of 40 mins to 1 hour or maximum of 3 hours.
- rinse and pat dry the okra/bhindi. slice off the crown and the tip of the bhindi.
- then make two or three slits on each bhindi, without breaking them.
- heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. add the bhindi. saute them till they are crisp and browned.
- drain the bhindi on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- in the same pan, add ½ tbsp ghee.
- add the besan/gram flour and fry the besan till it changes color and becomes aromatic. keep on stirring while frying the besan so that it does not get burnt.
- you should see the fat releasing from the besan.
- add the bhindi to the besan. stir.
- then add all the spice powders (coriander, dry mango powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder).
- stir well and sprinkle salt and ½ tbsp water. adding water is optional and you can also skip this step.
- stir and saute, until the roasted gram flour and spice mixture coats the bhindi well.
- lastly, add garam masala and give a stir.
- while serving, garnish besan bhindi with the julienned ginger from the sugar syrup along with coriander leaves.
- serve besan bhindi masala hot with roti or chappati or as a side dish with dal rice or curry rice.