Steamed Christmas Pudding
Recipe type: Festival Special
The rich, traditional Christmas fare. Serve with custard or vanilla ice- cream.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp dried ginger (soonth) powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
- 55 gms chopped dates (khajur)
- 55 gms chopped mixed peel
- 55 gms raisins (kismis)
- 55 gms finely chopped cashewnuts (kaju)
- 1 tsp levelled, baking powder
- 3 tsp sugar
- Vanilla Ice-cream or sweetened cream to serve
- Separate the eggs.
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar very well.
- Add the egg - yolks, one at a time and beat very well.
- Mix all the dry fruits and peel. Sprinkle a little flour over them.
- Add the fruit and peel mixtures, spices and vanilla essence to the pudding mixture.
- Beat the egg- whites, bread crumbs and baking powder to the pudding mixture.
- In a small vessel, mix 3 teaspoons of granulated sugar and 3 teaspoons of water. Melt until the liquid becomes dark brown and add to the pudding mixture.
- Grease a 175 mm. (7") diameter baking tin and spread the mixture in it. Cover and cook in a pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.