Recipe type: Snacks
Pack some carrot slice into your work lunch-box for a boost of energy during the day.
- ¾ cup (165g) raw sugar
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large carrot (about 140g), grated
- 100g raisins
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing sugar (to ice, optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 28cm x 18cm slice pan.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the sugar, oil and egg in a large bowl, then stir in the carrot, raisins and zest. Sift in flour, soda and spices. Stir to just combine, then pour into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If making icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir with 1-2 teaspoons warm water to form a smooth, soft icing. Drizzle over slice with a teaspoon, then leave to set for 10 minutes. Alternatively, dust with 2 tbs sifted icing sugar. Cut into 12 bars.
Store for 2-3 days in an airtight container.