Fairy castle cake
Recipe type: Kids
Little princesses will love this cake, complete with fairy floss and pink sprinkles.
- 2 quantities butter cream icing (see related recipe)
- 1-2 tsp pink food colouring
- 2 quantities butter cake (see related recipe)
- 4 x 375g pkts Top Taste Jam Sponge Roll
- 15 musk sticks
- 32 white and pink mini marshmallows, halved horizontally
- 2 Mike & Jack Strawberry Flavoured X-treme Sour Straps, cut into thin strips
- 1 x 375g pkt white chocolate melts
- 4 ice-cream cones
- Dollar Sweets Magic Fairy Dust, to decorate
- 85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- 35g pink fairy floss
- 1 x 25g pkt Dollar Sweets Fairy Friends
- Place icing in a large bowl. Add food colouring and stir until well combined.
- Use a large serrated knife to trim all 4 sides of each cake. Place a little icing on the base of 1 cake, then place it on a cake board or serving platter. Spread a little icing over the top of the cake and top with the remaining cake.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut an arch from each corner of the cake stack. Place the sponge rolls into the arches to make towers. (See tip 2, below.)
- Spread remaining icing over the sides and top of the cake to cover. Use a spatula or round-bladed knife to spread the icing in an upwards motion up the sides of the sponge rolls.
- Cut 2 of the musk sticks in half crossways and place, at a 45-degree angle, in the centre of one side of the castle to make a drawbridge. Cut half of the remaining musk sticks into 2cm lengths. Cut the remaining musk sticks into 3cm lengths. Press two 3cm musk stick pieces, side-by-side, next to one of the towers. Place two 2cm pieces next to the taller musk sticks. Repeat with the remaining musk stick pieces to create walls around the castle.
- Place 4 pink marshmallow halves, cut-side up, onto one side of the cake to make a flower. Repeat with remaining pink and white marshmallow halves to make 4 flowers on all 4 sides of the cake. Place the sour strap strips at the base of each flower to make stems, cutting to fit.
- Place the white chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts and is smooth. Use a round-bladed knife to spread each ice-cream cone with a little melted chocolate. Dust with the fairy dust to coat. Set aside until set.
- Meanwhile, spread the remaining melted chocolate on the cake board around the castle. Sprinkle with the coconut to cover.
- Place an ice-cream cone, round-side down, on top of each tower. Place the fairy floss in the centre of the cake to decorate and arrange the Fairy Friends on top to serve.