Peas and Mushroom on Cream Crackers
Recipe type: kids
Makes a great after school snack with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
- For the peas and mushroom mixture
- ½ cup boiled green peas
- ½ cup mushrooms (khumbh), blanched and cut into quaters
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped capsicum
- ½ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp plain flour (maida)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
- For baking
- 2 tbsp grated cooking cheese
- For the peas and mushroom mixture:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the capsicum, green chillies, tomatoes, green peas, mushrooms and salt and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a non-stick pan on a slow flame. Add the flour and cook on a slow flame, stirring continuously for about a minute.
- Gradually add the milk and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt, pepper and the prepared vegetable mixture mix well. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Just before serving, top the cream crackers with the peas and mushroom mixture.
- Spread a little of the white sauce over the mixture, sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) till the cheese melts. Serve hot.