Recipe type: Curries
Savour the rich flavours of Spanish chicken with smoked ham, chilli and paprika.
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- 8 skinless chicken thigh cutlets
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 long fresh green chillies, seeded, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 150g smoked leg ham, coarsely chopped
- 3 dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook half the chicken for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook the onion, capsicum and chilli, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the paprika and stir to coat. Add the chicken, tomato, stock, ham and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and starts to fall off the bone. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Serve with steamed rice.