Chilli garlic prawns
Recipe type: Curries
Spicy chillies and garlic, bring out the best in this succulent and aromatic prawn dish.
- 100g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 red cayenne chillies, thinly sliced
- 1kg medium green king prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- crusty bread and lemon wedges, to serve
- Melt butter and oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add prawns. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until prawns are pink.
- Stir in tomato and parsley. Serve with crusty bread and lemon wedges.
When working with chillies, use kitchen gloves to avoid skin irritation. For less 'fire', remove the membrane and seeds from chillies. Green chillies are generally milder than red. The general rule is the smaller the chilli (such as birdseye), the hotter it is.