Lauki Ka Raita ( Protein Rich Recipes )
Recipe type: salads
Lauki ka raita, are normally bland, as they are meant to act as a side dish for spicy main course dishes served as part of a traditional meal. However, here is a slightly spicy raita that can combine well with spicy as well as bland main course dishes. Revel in the goodness and cooling effect of doodhi and protein rich curds, in one single dish!
- 1 cup chopped bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- ¼ cup sliced onions
- ¼ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 cup beaten fresh curds (dahi)
- 3 tbsp roasted and powdered peanuts
- salt to taste
- For The Tempering
- 2 tsp coconut oilor any other refined oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- Combine the bottle gourd, onions, green chillies, ginger and ½ cup of water in a deep pan, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till all the water evaporates. Keep aside.
- Add the curds, peanuts and salt, mix well. Remove and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, red chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the tempering over the curds-bottle gourd mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.