Broccoli soup with Swiss cheese toasts
Recipe type: soups
Broccoli soup with Swiss cheese toasts is easy, vegetarian and kid friendly. Perfect!
- 1kg broccoli
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1.25L (5 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 x 30cm French bread stick (baguette)
- 150g Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Thinly slice the broccoli stems and break the heads into even-sized florets.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the broccoli stem and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute or until tender. Add the florets and stir until well combined.
- Add 1L (4 cups) of stock. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli is soft but still green. Uncover. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer half the mixture to the jug of a blender with half the remaining stock. Blend until smooth. Return to the pan. Repeat with remaining mixture and stock. Place over medium heat. Stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Thinly slice the bread crossways. Place, in a single layer, on a baking tray. Cook under grill for 1 minute each side or until toasted. Top with the cheese. Cook under grill for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top each with 2 toasts. Season with pepper. Serve with remaining toasts.
Broccoli stalks are delicious, so don't throw them out. Peel skin if desired and cook with the florets.