Clear soup with bamboo and tofu
Recipe type: soups
The traditional way to eat this soup is to drink it from a small cup-like bowl.
- 2 (8g) packets bonito dashi (stock) powder
- 140g whole peeled bamboo shoot, thinly sliced, quartered
- 10g dried wakame (seaweed)
- 120g silken tofu, cut into 7mm cubes
- 2 tbs cooking sake
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Black sesame seeds, to serve
- Place 1.2L water and dashi in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add bamboo and wakame and cook for 4 minutes. Add tofu and simmer for a further minute. Add sake, soy sauce and salt to taste. Serve in small bowls, scattered with sesame seeds.
If you want to serve this lovely soup as a meal in its own right, add a packet of cooked Japanese udon noodles with the seaweed and 100g thinly sliced snowpeas with the sake. All ingredients are available from Asian food store, or selected grocers.