Mushroom and Barley Soup ( Soups and Salads Recipe )
Recipe type: soups
If you are watching what you eat then the mushroom and barley soup is ideal. Couple it with whole wheat toast and you have a nutrient-packed, fibre-dense meal ready! lemon juice and ground pepper add a nice wintery flavour, but if you do want to experiment, go ahead and add different seasonings. What sets this soup apart is the unique combination of flavours: soothing barley and the delicately flavoured mushroom. The result is a wonderful soup bursting with flavours, albeit all mild.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 3¼ cups mushrooms (khumbh) , stem removed and sliced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup soaked and half-cooked barley (jau)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Soak the barley in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water, add the barley and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 mintues or till it is 50% cooked. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper and salt and sauté on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes till the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the vegetable stock, barley and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer on a slow flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the barley is completely cooked.
- Remove from flame, add the parsley and lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.