Potato and Carrot Soup
Recipe type: soups
A wonderfully hearty whole-meal soup made using potatoes and carrots, mildly flavoured with dried herbs. Milk adds both protein and calcium while apples and carrots reinforce the soup with a good dose of fibre.
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped apples
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup low fat milk (99% fat free, readily available in the market)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp grated carrots for the garnish
- Heat the pressure cooker on a medium flame, add the onions and dry roast till they turn translucent.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and apples, 1½ cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Cool completely.
- Allow the steam to escape and then blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Pour into a non-stick vessel, add the mixed herbs, milk, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and serve hot garnished with carrots.