Vegetable, bacon and risoni soup
Recipe type: Soups
Warm up the middle of the week with a soup which is just brimming with veggies and flavour!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 125g 97% fat-free bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 400g can diced roma tomatoes
- ⅓ cup dried risoni pasta
- ⅓ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add carrot, parsnip, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in risoni. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until risoni is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through parsley. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve.
This soup is best made on the day of serving. If making ahead, cook the risoni pasta separately and stir into the soup just before serving.