Bajra Methi Khakhra ( Gluten Free Recipe)
Recipe type: Snacks
Khakhras are usually made with wheat flour used alone or in combination with other flours. These bajra flour khakras embellished with methi are an interesting gluten free alternative. Follow the exact procedure to get perfectly crisp khakhras.
- 1 cup bajra (black millet) flour
- ¼ cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- ½ cup finely chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp oil for kneading
- bajra (black millet) flour for rolling
- Combine the bajra flour, rice flour, ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste, fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder, oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into soft dough using enough warm water. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead again using oil till the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a thin circle of 125 mm (5") diameter, using a little bajra flour for rolling.
- Heat the tava (griddle) and cook it on a slow flame until pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Cook each khakhra on a slow flame by pressing with a folded muslin cloth till it turns crisp and brown in colour from both sides.
- Serve immediately or cool and store in an airtight container.