Beetroot Carrot Halwa
Recipe type: Snacks
Beetroot carrot halwa is prepared by pressure cooking beetroot and carrot in milk till they are soft. The beetroot and carrot mixture is then cooked in sugar till the sugar caramelizes and the mixture comes together. Sliced almonds give the halwa a good crunch while cardamom powder gives it a sweet flavor.
- Carrots 2 – 3
- Beetroot 1 Small
- Milk 2 Cups
- Sugar 1 Cup
- Cardamom Powder a big Pinch
- Almonds 6
- Ghee ½ tsp
- Peel, remove ends, wash and roughly chop the carrots and beetroot.
- Alternatively, grate both the beetroot and carrot (around 2 cups).
- Soak almonds in few tablespoons of hot water for sometime
- Peel the skin off of almonds and thinly slice them.
- Pressure cook both beetroot and carrot with milk for 3 whistles.
- Grind the cooked beetroot and carrot in case you chopped them.
- Else, lightly mash the beetroot and carrot.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add ghee and cooked beetroot and carrot mixture.
- Fry till most of the moisture is evaporated (almost dry).
- Stir in sugar and cardamom powder.
- Let the mixture cook for around 10 minutes for sugar to caramelize and mixture comes together.
- Stir in chopped almonds and remove from heat.
- Serve beetroot carrot halwa hot or cold.
Make sure not to overcook carrot and beetroot. Suggestions: If the sugar is not caramelized well, put the halwa back on heat and cook till the mixture comes together. Add more sugar for much sweeter version of the halwa. Variations: You can also cook the beetroot and carrot in a sauce pan by adding enough milk. You can also add fried cashews and raisins to the halwa. Latest Articles