Bhakri ( Gujarati Recipe)
Recipe type: Snacks
Bhakhri is typically biscuit-like bread flavoured with ghee and cumin seeds. Generally, there are two types of bhakhris—one is cooked like a biscuit while the other is puffed up and served with ghee. If you plan to take bhakhris along when travelling, make them smaller and crispier. In any case, apply pressure when cooking so that the insides get cooked evenly.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) or carom seeds (ajwain)
- salt to taste
- For Serving
- trevti dal
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a firm dough, using enough water. Keep 2.aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 100 mm. (4") diameter thick circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle) and cook each circle, putting light pressure on the bhakhri with a muslin 5.cloth till golden brown spots appear on both the sides and the bhakhri turns crisp.
- Serve hot with trevti dal.