Charmoula Vegetable Satay ( Healthy Starter Recipe )
Recipe type: Snacks
A colourful selection of fresh and nutritious veggies is steeped in the charmoula marinade (of algerian and moroccan origin) and crisped to perfection. Make sure you make the marinade right, since that is the highlight of this recipe.
- For The Marinade (makes ½ Cup)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1½ tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
- salt to taste
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- ½ tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tbsp hung low-fat curds (dahi)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp sugar
- Other Ingredients
- 1¼ tsp oil
- 1½ thick slices of brinjal (baingan / eggplant) (baingan/ eggplant) , cut into quarters
- 6 red capsicum cubes , deseeded and cut into 25 mm. (1”) pieces
- 3 blanched mushrooms (khumbh) , halved
- 6 yellow capsicum cubes , deseeded and cut into 25 mm. (1”) pieces
- 6 cauliflower florets , blanched
- 6 green capsicum cubes , deseeded and cut into 25 mm. (1”) pieces
- 6 onion cubes , cut into 25 mm. (1”) pieces
- 6 carrot roundels , cut into 6 mm. ( ¼”) thickness and blanched
- For the marinade
- Combine all the ingredients along with 1 tsp of water and blend in a mixer to smooth paste. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the brinjal and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the brinjal is light brown in colour from both the sides.
- Combine the brinjals and all the remaining ingredients including the marinade in a bowl and toss well. Keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Thread a piece of red capsicum, mushroom, yellow capsicum, cauliflower, green capsicum, onion, carrot and brinjal on a satay stick.
- Repeat the same with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more satays.
- Cook each satay on a non-stick tava (griddle), using ⅛ tsp of oil, till the vegetables turn golden brown in colour on all the sides.
- Serve hot.