Cheese Chilli Toast ( Mumbai Roadside Snack)
Recipe type: Snacks
If the name makes you believe that this is a simple toast of bread with cheese and chilli flakes, you are in for a huge surprise. On Mumbai’s streets, Cheese Chilli Toast is an elaborate treat, of chutney-coated bread topped with a succulent mixture of cheese, capsicum and green chillies. Toasted with a brushing of butter, the Cheese Chilli Toast is a snack that will perk you up instantly with its vibrant flavour and wonderful texture. Serve it hot and fresh with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- 1½ cups grated processed cheese
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
- salt to taste
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tsp butter for brushing
- butter for greasing and cooking
- 8 tsp green chutney
- For Serving
- tomato ketchup
- green chutney
- Combine the cheese, capsicum, green chillies and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Spread ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice evenly and keep aside.
- Place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface with the buttered side facing upwards.
- Spread 1 tsp of green chutney on each of the bread slices.
- Spread a portion of the mixture evenly on 1 bread slice and cover with another bread slice with 1 buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it tightly.
- Spread a little butter evenly on the bread slices.
- Grease a sandwich toaster on both the sides using butter and pre-heat for a minute.
- Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster and cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both the sides.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply a little butter evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 4 to 10 to make 3 more toasts.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
At step 9, keep turning the sandwich toaster and checking at regular intervals to avoid the toast from getting burnt.