How to Make Vegetable Puffs – Indian Snack Recipe
Recipe type: Snacks
Vegetable Puffs are a wonderful snack option for the days that you want something substantial and you can’t wait very long for it to be made!! These College-Canteen favorites are wonderful and the will take you back to the nostalgic ‘college days’. Relive the memories, at least the good parts with this easy recipe!
- Puff Pastry Sheets – 1 box (from the frozen section of a grocery store)
- For the Stuffing:
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Onions – ¼ small, finely chopped
- Potato – 1 small, shredded
- Salt – to taste
- Carrots – ¼, shredded
- Paneer – ¼ cup, shredded
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ⅛ tsp
- Chaat Masala – ¼ tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Take the sheets of Puff Pastry out and thaw them at room temperature for about 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the Oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now for the stuffing, take a small skillet and heat Oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the Onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add in the Potatoes and a little salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes till the Potatoes are cooked.
- Add in the Carrots and the Paneer. Mix.
- Add in the spices – Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Chaat Masala, Dry Mango Powder and Red Chili Powder.
- Mix really well and keep aside.
- Cut the Pastry sheets strips into 3s to form a square.
- Put 1 tbsp (approx) of the stuffing in the center.
- Fold the Pastry Sheet to make a triangle.
- Use a fork and gently, but firmly, press into the sides and press away (to form a design and help seal)
- Put the Puffs on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Place in the pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Once they are out of the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack and allow them to rest and cool down for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.
1. Use any vegetable and spice combination for the Puffs. 2. It is very important to allow them to cool for 5 minutes – this will make the puffs nice and flaky AND it won’t burn your mouth. 3. The Cooling rack is great but if you don’t have one, improvise – take the oven rack and give it some height and use that. 4. Optional – add finely chopped green chilies or/and cilantro. 4. Use up left-overs subzis, keema or just scramble some eggs – be innovative!