Recipe type: Snacks
the crunchy, delicious chaklis now come in a healthy, baked avatar – just remember to store these famous gujarati munchies in an air-tight container to maintain its crispness.
- 1 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 1½ tbsp low-fat butter
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentil) flour
- ¾ tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ½ tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp oil for greasing
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water (approx. 2 to 3 tbsp).
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Put 1 portion of the dough into a chakli press and press out long whirls of the dough (approx. 6”) onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake these chaklis in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for approx. 20 minutes or till they are crisp and light brown in colour, gently flipping over once in between using a flat spoon.
- Repeat the steps 3 and 4 to make 1 more batch of chaklis.
- Cool, break into 50 mm. (2”) pieces and store in an air-tight container.