Pakodas – Crispy Fried Fritters
Recipe type: Snacks
There are shops that are dedicated to making ONLY Pakodas in India. Ever wonder why? Well, it is a dish that has a following and once you get hooked…
- Chickpea Flour – ½ cup
- Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Oil – for deep frying
- Vegetables – Assorted (Potatoes, Zuchinni, Spinach, Green Chili)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl – Chickpea Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Red Chili Powder, Roasted Cumin Powder, Turmeric and Chaat Masala.
- Mix well and make sure there are no lumps.
- Slowly add in the Water and keep mixing.
- Heat Oil for deep frying on medium heat.
- Prep Vegetables for frying.
- Check the Oil temperature – drop a couple of drops of batter in the Oil and they should float up right away.
- Dip the vegatables in the batter and drop them in the Oil.
- Cook on both sides (the coating should be a golden red)
- Once done, strain the Oil and put the pakodas on a kitchen towel to drain out any excess Oil.
- Serve with Tamarind or Mint/Cilantro chutney.
Preping Vegetables- Potatoes – Peel and slice thin or sticks Cauliflower – bite size florets Zuchinni – Slice or cut into spears Chilis – slit or fry whole. Mushrooms – whole or cut (depending on the size) Paneer – cubes or fingers Bell Pepper – Cubed or lengthwise Eggplant – Slice thin Onions – Sliced rings