Stir- Fried Spinach Pancake
Recipe type: Snacks
Suggested serving size for 100 calories: 1 pancake iron and calcium rich sesame seeds, garlic and soya sauce – an irresistible combination of ingredients in an oriental style pancake best served piping hot.
- For The Pancakes
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp melted low-fat butter
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp oil for cooking
- For Stir-fried Spinach
- 1½ tsp oil
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 6 cups shredded spinach (palak)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (til)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- For the pancakes
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well to make a smooth batter (add 1 tbsp of water if required to make it of pouring consistency).
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan, pour a portion of the batter and tilt the pan around quickly to make a 125 mm. (5") diameter thin circle.
- Cook using ¼ tsp of oil till both sides turn brown in colour.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 more pancakes and keep aside.
- For stir-fried spinach
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the garlic and sauté on high flame for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach and sauté on a high flame for 5 to 7 minutes, or till all the water evaporates, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sesame seeds, soya sauce and salt and toss gently.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Place a pancake on a clean, dry surface and spread one portion of the stir-fried spinach mixture in a row at one corner and roll it up tightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more stir-fried spinach pancakes.
- Serve hot.