Bottle Gourd with Spinach - Anapakaya Palakura
Recipe type: Curries
For bottle gourd spinach curry, bottle gourd is chopped up and is cooked in tempered oil along with green chiles and tamarind. Finally chopped spinach is added to the bottle gourd and this curry can be served with steamed rice or with roti.
- Bottle Gourd ½ of Small One
- Spinach 1½ Cups Packed
- Green Chiles 2 – 3
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Tamarind 2 inch Piece
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Peel, wash, remove ends and chop the bottle gourd (around 2 Cups).
- Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles.
- Soak tamarind in a tbsp of hot water for couple of minutes.
- Wash and finely chop the spinach leaves.
- Crush the green chiles with tamarind and salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add green chile tamarind mixture and bottle gourd.
- Add few splashes of water and cook covered on low flame till bottle gourd turns soft.
- Uncover and fry for a minute or two to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Stir in chopped spinach leaves and cook for a minute or two.
- Serve bottle gourd spinach curry with steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.
Make sure not to overcook bottle gourd until its mushy. Suggestions: If the bottle gourd is not cooked properly, put it back on heat and cook covered on low flame till done. If bottle gourd is not tender, you can also steam it or boil it in quarter cup of water.