Carrot Curry with Sesame Seeds - Carrot Nuvvula Podem Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Carrots are peeled and chopped up into small pieces. They are then cooked in tempered oil till soft. Freshly roasted sesame seeds and red chiles are ground into powder and added to the carrot curry. This carrot preparation tastes good with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Carrots 2 Medium Sized
- Sesame Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Dried Red Chile Small Piece
- Red Chile Powder a Pinch
- Turmeric Powder a Pinch
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 1 tsp
- Peel, remove ends and chop carrots into small pieces.
- Heat a pan on medium low heat, add sesame seeds.
- Toast sesame seeds until they turn light golden brown, remove from heat and add the red chile to the hot sesame seeds bowl.
- Grind the sesame seeds and red chile into fine powder adding a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When urad dal changes color, add chopped carrots and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame till carrot turns soft but not mushy.
- Add few splashes of water if the carrot seems to stick to the bottom of the pan and not cook.
- When carrot turns soft, add ground sesame seeds powder, turmeric powder and red chile powder.
- Stir fry for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve carrot curry with sesame seeds over plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure the carrot is cooked right. Suggestions: If carrot is not cooked properly, cook it covered on low flame till done. Add a splash of water if required.