Chickpea and eggplant curry
Recipe type: Curries
This vegetarian curry is a veritable Indian feast. Serve it with rice and coriander for a complete midweek meal.
- ¼ cup ghee*
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbs ground turmeric
- 1½ tbs garam masala
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 (350g) eggplant, cut into 3cm dice
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 350g cauliflower florets
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ¾ cup Greek-style yoghurt
- Steamed rice and coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden. Add spices and stir for 1 minute, then add eggplant. Stir to coat in mixture and cook for a further minute. Add tomatoes and cauliflower. Stir to combine then add 1½ cups water. Bring to the boil.
- Cover saucepan with a lid and cook over low-medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes. Stir in yoghurt then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on rice, topped with coriander.
Ghee is clarified butter, used extensively in Indian cooking. It is sold in cans in the Asian section of most major supermarkets. If you can't find it, substitute with vegetable oil or butter.