Curry Leaves Chutney (Kadi Patta Chutney)
Recipe type: Pickles
This is a quick and an easy South Indian Chutney that goes so well with a lot of South Indian dishes. The Curry Leaves give a flavor that is very distinct and fresh. A make ahead chutney that is a wonderful change to the coconut chutney that is usually served is great when you have a lot of Curry Leaves on hand, pruning down you Kadi Patta Plant for the winter.
- Curry leaves – 2 cups, loosely packed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chili – 1
- Asafoetida – ⅛th tsp
- Green Chili – to taste
- Fresh Coconut – ½ cup, shredded
- Tamarind Paste – 2 tbsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Jaggery – ½ tsp or to taste
- Water – as needed for grinding
- Wash and pat dry the Curry Leaves and set aside.
- In a wok, heat Oil and add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Lower heat and add in the Dry Red Chili, Asafoetida and the Curry Leaves.
- Mix well will the Leaves are coated with Oil.
- Increase the flame to a medium and add the Green Chili and shredded Coconut.
- Mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool down.
- Once cooled, transfer to a grinder and add Tamarind Paste, Salt, Jaggery and Water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with Dosa, Idli, Vada, Adai or use as a spread on toast.