Dahi Bhindi ki Subji
Recipe type: Curries
Here's a great way to enjoy a Rajasthani delicacy that is simply sumptuous and low in calories. Choose young and tender bhindis for this recipe that will cook quickly. Above all, the rich and fascinating aroma is so tempting that you won't feel that you're eating low calorie food.
- 2 cups chopped ladies finger (bhindi)
- 1 cup low fat curds (dahi)
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 5 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Steam the bhindi for 5 to 7 minutes till soft. Keep aside.
- Combine the curds, coriander powder, chilli powder, gram flour and salt with 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curd mixture and steamed bhindi and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.