Easy tomato and bean pots
Recipe type: Curries
Dish up pots of smoky beans with a crunchy golden sourdough crust.
- ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs sweet paprika
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 250g sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- Preheat oven to 220C. Chop 2 tbs of oregano. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Stir for 8 minutes or until soft and golden. Add paprika. Stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tomato, water, sugar, tomato paste and chopped oregano. Stir for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into 2-3cm pieces. Combine bread and remaining oil in a bowl.
- Add the combined beans to the tomato mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Season. Divide the mixture among four 375ml (1½-cup) ovenproof dishes. Top with the bread mixture and remaining oregano leaves. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
To add an extra hit of flavour, add some finely chopped speck with the onion in step 1.