Fresh Beans Masala - Masala Chikkudu
Recipe type: Curries
Fresh flat beans are stringed and chopped into small pieces. They are then boiled in water till just cooked. A spicy tomato onion gravy is prepared in the meanwhile and finally boiled beans are added to the gravy. This beans masala goes well with steamed rice or with pulka or roti.
- Flat Beans 1½ Cups (chopped)
- Onion 1
- Tomato 3
- Green Peas (frozen) 2 tbsps
- Ginger Garlic Paste ½ tsp
- Green Chiles 2
- Coriander Powder 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder ½ tsp
- Red Chile Powder ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Wash thoroughly, snap both ends of the flat beans and chop beans into inch long pieces.
- Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles.
- Peel, remove ends and very finely chop the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Bring to boil few cups of water in sauce pot, add chopped flat beans and salt.
- Boil till flat beans are just cooked without becoming too soft or mushy.
- Strain the cooked flat beans and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and onion.
- Fry the onion till it turns light brown around the edges.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and green chiles and fry for few more seconds.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes soften and become mushy.
- Then add coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Fry till the tomato onion mixture comes together.
- Then stir in cooked flat beans, peas and around quarter cup of water.
- Cook covered for couple of minutes and stir in cilantro.
- Remove from heat and serve fresh beans masala with steamed rice or roti.
Make sure not to overcook the beans. Suggestions: If flat beans are not soft, add few tbsps of water to the curry and cook covered on low flame till done. Variations: You can also add few pinches of garam masala during the last stage of cooking process.