Kada Pav Bhaji Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Kada Pav Bhaji is a variation of pav bhaji where the chopped and cooked vegetables are kept intact, whole and not mashed.
- ½ cauliflower, florets removed
- 2-3 small carrots, cubed
- ½ cup french beans, chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum
- 1 inch ginger ( half for making the ginger-garlic paste and half to be chopped)
- 5-6 medium sized garlic flakes
- ½ tbsp pav bhaji masala
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves for garnish
- chopped lemon for garnish
- butter (preferably amul butter) or oil
- First take the chopped veggies, mainly: cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas and beans and wash these thoroughly in running water for a good 3-4 times. Keep these in a pan or cooker. Now add water to the veggies.
- Pressure cook or boil the veggies till they are done. Do not over cook the veggies. In the picture below, the veggies are cooked. Strain the veggies and keep the broth.
- In the meantime, when the vegetables are cooking, chop the onions, green chillies, ginger, tomatoes and capsicum.
- In the mortar and pestle crush the remaining half ginger and garlic cloves. You can keep it coarsely crushed or make a fine paste. You could also use ready ginger garlic paste.
- In a kadai or a big tava heat up around 2 tbsp oil or butter. I do not have a big tava… so I always make the pav bhaji in a kadai. Add the onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger, green chillies and capsicum. Saute for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
- Now add the red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix the powders and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic .
- Mix it and saute for 2 mins more.
- Add some 1-2 tbsp butter to the bhaji.
- Add the boiled vegetables.
- Add the pav bhaji masala.
- Add about 1 or 1.5 cups of broth or water or both broth+water. Gently mix the entire mixture.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes on a low flame. Keep checking the bhaji in between.
- Now, add the garam masala powder and gently mix it with the rest of the bhaji.
- Lastly, add chopped coriander leaves.
- Your kada pav bhaji is ready now. Slice the pavs and fry them on the tava or griddle with some butter. Serve the khada pav bhaji topped with butter with the warm pavs, chopped onion and chopped lemon.