Kala Channa Subzi
Recipe type: Curries
Kala Channa Subzi is a a great way to get a high dose of protein and fiber into your diet. This dish can be served as a side dish or a snack. Have it with chapatis or puris or have it by the bowlful.
- Kala Channa – 2 cups, soaked overnight
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 4 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Hing / Asofoetida – ⅛th tsp
- Haldi / Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Onions – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Chaat Masala – ½ – 1 tsp
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Lime Juice – to taste
- Wash and soak the Kala Channas overnight.
- Drain water, add Salt and fresh Water, mix.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles,on medium-high then lower flame to simmer and cook for another 45 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to realease and then open the cooker.
- In a pan, heat Oil on medium heat. Once hot add Cumin Seeds. Allow them to sizzle.
- Add in Hing, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies.
- Mix and allow the Onions to turn translucent, approx 2 min.
- Add the Kala Channas to the Pan (minus the water) and mix.
- Add in the dry spices – Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Chat Masala.
- Mix and add a little bit of Water (from the cooker) and allow the spices to cook and mix with the Kala Chanas.
- Adjust the salt and spices if needed, cook for another 2-3 minutes and it is ready.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and a genrous squeeze of Lime Juice.
- Serve hot.