Kela Methi Nu Shaak ( Gujarati Recipe)
Recipe type: Curries
An interesting life is always a tasty blend of happiness and joy! this recipe, with a rare combination of mildly-bitter methi and pleasantly-sweet bananas, proves this point yet again. Elders of the gujarati community usually like recipes such as kela methi nu shaak where contrasting flavours complement each other. Serve with rotla, butter and green chillies.
- 1¼ cups bananas , peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 cups finely chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ¾ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- a pinch baking soda
- salt to taste
- 2½ tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1½ tsp chilli powder
- 2½ tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1½ tsp sugar
- For Serving
- white butter
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and the fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the soda bi-carb and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame till the fenugreek leaves become soft.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the bananas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes.
- Serve immediately with rotlis, white butter.