Lauki Kofta Curry ( Healthy Heart)
Recipe type: Curries
These koftas are prepared with lauki in a larger proportion, in comparison to potato, to minimize the caloric value of the dish. Also, koftas are not deep fried, but are simmered and cooked in the gravy itself. This makes a tasty combination with lachha soya paratha.
- For The Lauki Koftas
- 1½ cups grated bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- ½ cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- ⅓ cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 1 to 2 green chillies , chopped
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- salt to taste
- For The Gravy
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ cup grated onions
- 1 tsp ginger (adrak) paste
- 1 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
- ½ cup grated tomatoes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 2 to 3 tbsp low fat milk
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the lauki koftas
- Strain the juice out of the grated bottlegourd and preserve it to add in the gravy.
- Combine all the ingredients together and transfer it into a non-stick pan and stir it over medium heat till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove and cool slightly. Divide this mixture into 12 to 16 equal portions and roll into koftas. Keep aside.
- For the gravy
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the grated tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and chilli powder and cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Dissolve the cornflour in milk and keep aside.
- Add 2 cups of water to the gravy and bring to a boil (you can add the bottle gourd juice too).
- Add the koftas and the milk and cornflour mixture and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the garam masala and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
The koftas tend to crumble if you boil them too much in the gravy. So, its better to add them just before you're ready to serve them.