Masala Whole Moong Curry - Pesalu Masala Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Whole moong / whole green gram is pressure cooked or boiled in water till its soft and whole. It is then briefly cooked with tomatoes, onion and lots of spices. Serve masala whole moong curry with pulka, chapati or with steamed rice.
- Whole Moong 1 Cup
- Onion 1
- Tomatoes 2 – 3
- Ginger Garlic Paste ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder ⅛ tsp
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 Tbsp
- Wash and pressure cook whole moong in 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Wash and finely chop cilantro leaves.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat oil in pan, add onion.
- Fry till onion turns light brown, add ginger garlic paste.
- Fry briefly and add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till tomatoes turn soft and the mixture comes together.
- Stir in garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook briefly, stir in cooked whole moong and quarter cup of water.
- Boil till moong absorbs all the flavors and comes to required consistency.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve masala whole moong curry with pulka, chapati or with steamed rice.
Make sure whole moong is not over cooked. Suggestions: Or just serve whole moong curry as a snack layered with finely chopped onion and few drops of lemon juice.