Paneer Koftas in Spinach Sauce ( Desi Khana)
Recipe type: Main
The spinach sauce used in this recipe is an elaborate one, of spinach purée plumped up with rich ingredients like coconut, cashewnuts, poppy seeds and spices. It happens to be the perfect base for delicate paneer koftas that melt in your mouth.
- For The Spinach Gravy
- 3 cups finely chopped spinach (palak)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup whisked fresh curds (dahi)
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- To Be Ground Into A Smooth Paste Using ½ Cup Water (for The Spinach Gravy)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped cashewnuts (kaju)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 8 cloves garlic (lehsun)
- 8 green chillies , roughly chopped
- 25 mm (1”) piece ginger (adrak)
- 2 tsp aniseeds (vilayati saunf)
- For The Paneer Koftas
- 1 cup grated paneer (cottage cheese)
- 4 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- a pinch of soda bi-carb
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- For the spinach gravy
- Boil ½ cup of water in a kadhai, add the spinach and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, drain and refresh it using cold water.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth purée. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the curds, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach purée, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- For the paneer koftas
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a small round ball.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the paneer koftas, a few at a time, till they are golden brown in colour from all the sides. Keep aside.
- How to proceed.
- Just before serving, reheat the spinach gravy, add the koftas to it and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.